Monday, June 15, 2009

Kicking things off...

This blog documents (or will document) my forray into ultra running. It officially kicks off, if things go as planned, with the Skyline 50K in Castro Valley, CA on August 2.

This is all an experiment for me. I ran on and off in my twenties, did some 10Ks, some marathons (3 to be exact). I had some successes that I am proud of. But it seemed like running and I were always in conflict. My marathon PR is 3:17, my 10K PR is 39:35, and training for those times was, for me, a serious commitment. It was physically and emotionally draining, though at the time I viewed that as the sacrifice necessary to be a better runner.

In retrospect I was probably doing some things wrong: I didn't know how to fuel properly, in training or in races. I didn't know a lot about current training techniques. In any case running inevitably became more of a burden than a hobby. The emotional draw began to impact other aspects of my life too.

This time I'm doing things differently, focusing far more on strength and interval training via crossfit and crossfit endurance. I don't know what the result is going to be- like I said, this is an experiment- but so far I am happy doing it.

It would be cool to see those PRs fall as I work towards ultra distance, but I'm going to try to not worry about it too much. Enjoying running is the most important thing to me right now.

1 comment: