Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Inspiration

I saw a great poster yesterday. It was a photo of a woman running alone along a remote and dramatic stretch of road, and I wish I could remember exactly what it said, but it was something like “Running never gets old because I like the woman I run with”.

I’ve never seen anything that captures so accurately and succinctly the way I feel about running (I mean besides the fact that it portrays a woman and I am a man… the poster wouldn’t have worked with a guy anyway). For me running is a solo activity, but it’s not a lonely activity. I like the occasional group run or going to the track with Jen but, and perhaps it’s because I’m naturally pretty introverted, running by myself on trails is one of the most enjoyable things that I do. I empathize with what the poster says about self reliance and motivation, but also about enjoying one's self, one's own company, even through challenges.

Whoever came up with this poster (presumably it was somebody at Brooks Sports, Inc.) really understands something fundamental about running. Or maybe he/she just put some words together and got lucky. I don’t care, I’ll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment